Pisa and Lucca

Oh boy has it been an exhausting 2 days! So, yesterday some of the girls and I went to both Pisa and Lucca by train. We left at around 9 in the morning, had the obligatory pizza in Pisa, and then went to see the famous leaning tower. It was absolutely crazy to see the tower from far away just casually among the rest of the city landscape (see picture below). You see it so many times in pictures but seeing it in person is entirely different. The church the tower belongs to is absolutely beautiful. I really wanted to go inside but you had to have a ticket and they were very expensive. We were warned before hand that a trip to Pisa was going to be short and focused almost entirely on the tower. There were a lot of shops in Pisa and it looked like place where you could definitely have a pleasant day milling around, but it definitely wasn’t a place where I would want to stay for an extended period of time. After a few hours of lunch and tower, we decided to make a quick stop in Lucca since it was apparently beautiful. That turned out to be exactly what Lucca was; perfect. Lucca is what I think most Americans would picture when thinking about small Italian towns. Absolutely gorgeous. And the gelato there is apparently famous and for good reason! We could unfortunately only stay in Lucca for a half an hour in order to make it back to Siena in time for dinner so we wrenched ourselves away from the Italian version of Pleasantville and got back to the train station. This is really just a brief overview of my trip because I have a lot of homework. But it was a ton of fun and I am so happy that I got to go